Breastfeeding/breastfeeding

Question
hello my name is Natalie i am breastfeeding my son is it possible that my breastmilk has been causing my baby to have major diaherra .... can spicy food may be causing my breastmilk to do that ??

Answer
Dear Natalie,

First, congratulations on giving your baby the best start in life by breastfeeding him!

The most important thing I can tell you is that severe diarrhea can be dangerous in making a baby dehydrated, so if it has gone on for more than a day or so, you should take him to the doctor.

It's hard for me to answer your question without more information -- like your baby's age, whether you regularly eat spicy foods or ate some recently, and whether that was followed by your baby's diarrhea, and how long your baby has had diarrhea. Generally whatever the mother's usual diet is will not upset her baby, especially if she has been eating pretty much the same kind of diet since she was pregnant.

If you want to write back and give me more specific information, I'll try to help you.

Sincerely, Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds