Breastfeeding/Green and mucus filled stools

Hello Sally,
I hope you are well.
I have a 10 week old that has has mucosy stools for the last month.  She is a fairly fussy baby, and she is extremely gassy.  I often have to help her release the gas by raising her legs to her chest.
Her stools are sometimes green as well.
I have eliminated dairy from my diet, but this doesn't seem to be improving anything at this point.
She was diagnosed with reflux and is on a small dose of lansoprazole.
Do you have any suggestions about what could be causing this, and if I should be concerned?  She sleeps well (both naps and nighttime sleep) however seems to awake when she needs to release gas.
Should I eliminate other foods from my diet, if so what should I start with?  Could this issue be caused by the drug?
Thanks in advance for your help

Dear Meredee,

First, congratulations for giving your daughter the best start in life by breastfeeding her!

On your question, your baby's gassiness probably has nothing to do with your breast milk. Mucosy stools are normal in many babies, and 10 weeks is often the peak of their fussy/ gassy period.  Green stools are usually not a problem either.It's good that you know how to help her release her gas.

This seems like a medical question specific to your baby and needs to be evaluated in the context of other information such as her medical history, exam, and growth charts. I suggest going back to your pediatrician and discussing your concerns, including the possible effects of the lansoprazole the baby is taking for reflux.

Good luck!

Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.  

Sally Wendkos Olds

What do you want to know about breastfeeding? I can tell you what`s good for the baby, what`s good for the mother -- and the father, how it`s related to a woman`s sexuality, how working moms can nurse, how to overcome obstacles, and lots more. As the author of THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING and author or coauthor of 8 other books and more than 200 articles about child and adult development, I can offer sound, sensible advice on breastfeeding, child care and family issues.

I nursed my 3 daughters and am the grandmother of 5 breastfed children. My book THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING (written in consultation with pediatrician Marvin S. Eiger, M.D.) was first published in 1972, and in 1999 came out in an updated 3rd Edition by Workman Publishing & Bantam Books. It is now a classic, with over 2 million copies in print. I am now revising this book for a fourth edition, consulting with pediatrician Laura M. Marks, M.D. This new edition will be published September 2009. I welcome any and all suggestions for the new edition. I coauthored college textbooks A CHILD'S WORLD: INFANCY THROUGH ADOLESCENCE, and HUMAN DEVELOPMENT; both are leading texts in their fields and have been read by 2 million students. I am the coauthor of HELPING YOUR CHILD FIND VALUES TO LIVE BY and RAISING A HYPERACTIVE CHILD, and author of THE WORKING PARENTS' SURVIVAL GUIDE & THE ETERNAL GARDEN: SEASONS OF OUR SEXUALITY. My newest book, A BALCONY IN NEPAL: GLIMPSES OF A HIMALAYAN VILLAGE, published in 2002, tells the story of the way of life in a remote village in Nepal, where all the women breastfeed! My book, SUPER GRANNY: COOL PROJECTS, ACTIVITIES, AND OTHER GREAT STUFF TO DO WITH YOUR GRANDKIDS, will be published March 2009. I speak often to professional, parent and general audiences and make many radio and TV appearances.

Credentials I received my B.A. in English Literature from the University of Pennsylvania, where I minored in Psychology, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated summa cum laude.

Other points of interest I have received national awards for my writing, and am a former president of the American Society of Journalists & Authors. I am listed in the World Who's Who of Women, International Authors & Writers Who's Who, and Contemporary Authors, and am a member of several professional and civic organizations. I believe: that all parents are working parents; that parents employed outside the home need special support; that mothers' well-being is crucial to their children's welfare; and that the family is the best institution in the world and the one for which we are least prepared. My thrills come when parents or kids tell me they were helped by my writing or speaking or just understanding. To find out more about me, go to