Breastfeeding/Breastfeeding and diharrea

Question
Hello

I have a 8 week old baby boy, when he was born he had no problem with feeding from my breast. Two weeks later he started screaming all day/night and was feeding for 6-7 hours straight with only 5 min breaks between, this caused me great stress and made me very upset. This cotinued for another two weeks then I decided to take him to the hospital were I was told it is completely normal, I spoke to the Australian breast feeding association and they also said it is normal to continue to put him back on the breast. I was finding this terribly hard feeding all day and night not being able to enjoy my time wit my baby and found my self crying all the time and started to feel depressed. My doctor suggested to express into a bottle and see how much he was having, once I did this he become more settled it was like he was not getting enough or what he needed by being on my breast. I have continued expressing for every bottle, about two weeks later so he would be six weeks he started crying all the time again but the cry was different it sounded like a painful cry, after a few days I went back to the doctor and was told he now had reflux. I started him on Zantac which the doctor prescribed and he settled, now he is eight weeks and has started crying again and has developed diharrea, he won't sleep and keeps refusing my expressed milk, it is freshly expressed so I know it should not be spoilt. I have have him two formula bottles today and he settled after each one, didn't refuse it and the diharrea has stopped. Could this mean I have something wrong with my milk?? I have not changed my diet I have a set menu so I know what I am eating and I only drink water. I did start losing my milk about two weeks ago and ha to take fenugreek I read it had cause reflux in many babies so I stopped taking it and started losing my milk again so the doctor prescribed me motilium (domperidones) my milk is now flowing much better, however could this be causing the diharrea?? Why does he refuse my breast milk but not the formula?? I have found breast feeding extremely hard and I feel like he is not being satisfied by my milk. No one is willing to help, they just keep saying breast is best and I do believe that but it is causing me to have a very unhappy baby and an very unhappy mum. I feel guilty for giving him formula as every one tells you how bad it is but he seems to be more happy with it. Can you suggest anything I can try or have any advice please, I do not know what else todo.
Bec

Answer
Dear Rebecca,

First, congratulations for giving your son the best start in life by breastfeeding him and giving him precious antibodies against disease!

I am so sorry to hear about the problems he is having now. It's good that you're continuing to express your breast milk so that you won't lose your supply. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your milk, and it's puzzling why your baby prefers formula in a bottle to breast milk in a bottle. A few things come to mind:

* Maybe you should try mixing formula and breast milk, so that he gets a bottle that's maybe 3/4 formula. If he takes that, gradually change the proportion so that he gets more and more breast milk.

* I don't know whether you have eliminated dairy foods from your diet. Sometimes this helps. If it does for your baby, you can wait a few weeks and then reintroduce these foods into your own diet.

* It does sound as if your baby has some reflux but I think this case may be too complicated to resolve over the Internet. You may get help from seeing a lactation consultant, who can work with you and your pediatrician to support you and work together to help you and your baby through this.  You should also monitor your baby's weight gain to be sure he is getting enough nourishment.

* If you feel that your pediatrician is not especially knowledgeable about breastfeeding issues and/or reflux, you may want to consult one who has been recommended by a lactation consultant or nursing moms' group.

* Domperidone is controversial, although the American Academy of Pediatrics has found it "compatible with breastfeeding," and I have not seen any evidence that it causes diarrhea in nursing babies. You should talk to your baby's doctor about this.

* If, despite all your efforts, you eventually switch to formula for your baby, please do not feel guilty! Yes, in almost all cases, breast is best -- but the most important thing is a healthy baby and a healthy stress-free mother. I admire you tremendously for all the effort you are putting into your baby's care.

Good luck!
Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds