Breastfeeding/2nd time around

Question
(sorry kind of long) When I had my daughter, who is now just shy of 23 months old, I was unable to nurse her due to supply issues.  She was born by an unplanned c-section after 40 some hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing--her head become stuck in my pelvis.  During the c-section I lost a lot of blood, requiring 4 pints replaced over the next 3 days.  They figured my hemoglobin was down to about 3.9 when all was said and done, so I didn't have much energy at first.  I was told that it might take a little longer for my milk to come in because of the C-section, then the added blood loss could make it a little longer.  I nursed in the hospital when I could (no holding baby when getting blood transfusions) and I pumped when I had the energy.  I was taught how to triple feed and I did the best I could with needing to recover myself.  Then all the sudden I wasn't getting anything when I pumped and I know my daughter was getting anything because she would latch on and then 10 seconds later be screaming with hunger.  We have a great facility here that has lactation consultants and I met with one when my daughter was about 3 weeks old.  She said I didn't show any signs of hormone problems from the blood loss, and since I had leaked during my pregnancy and the first few days at home, it seemed like I should be good to go.  I started taking fenugreek when my daughter was about 1 1/2 months old.  I had stopped trying to nurse at this point but was still pumping every time my daughter had a bottle. We tried an s&s and my daughter could latch very well.  After 1 1/2 months of 9 fenugreek pills a day and pumping 7 times a day, I was only getting 4 oz of breast milk a day.  I tried nursing again and my daughter latched on great, and nursed for about 1 minute each side, but when I tried pumping right after there was nothing left at all.  At this point, we decided that it was time to move on - which was a very hard decision.
My husband and I are expecting our second child in 4 months and I really want to nurse him.  He will be a planned C-section this time, so we are hoping for fewer complications.  Is it likely that I will have supply problems again, and is there anything I can do about it?
Thanks!

Answer
Dear Erin,

I'm so sorry to hear about all the problems you had breastfeeding your daughter. You deserve congratulations for all the effort you put in.

It's hard to say whether you'll have supply issues with your next baby. Each birth experience is unique, as is each baby. If you don't have the same kind of difficult birth, there's no reason to expect the same kind of problems. This time things might go very smoothly.

There's not much you can do to prepare for breastfeeding, other than to keep yourself healthy and follow a healthy diet. I would suggest nursing the new baby as soon as possible after delivery, and then to nurse as frequently as you can after that.

I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy and delivery, and if you have more questions, don't hesitate to write back.

Best regards,

Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds