Breastfeeding/Breast feeding -weaning

Hi Sally,
I need tips in weaning to my 15 month old daughter.
First of all,she sleeps with me and she is nursed even in the middle of nights.
I tried weaning by offering her solids for each feeding,but could not wean her first and last feeding and of course 1-2feedings in between night.
I offer her whole milk just before she sleeps,but cries in between to get hold of my breast.
Around 3a.m and 6 a.m. she drinks my milk.

Could you please help me how to wean in these timings?

Dear Malini,

First, congratulations for giving your daughter the best start in life by bresstfeeding her! Babies like yours, who really love nursing, are a challenge to wean, especially when you share a bed.

If you plan to have her sleep in her own bed eventually, I suggest that you get the bed now and put her into it for naps so she can get used to it and get used to sleeping alone. Instead of nursing her to help her fall asleep, speak to her in a friendly voice and tell her she's getting to be a big girl and being a big girl means going to sleep by herself in the crib. Then leave the room. You may want to put a favorite toy in the crib before putting her into it. One of our jobs as parents to help our children learn how to soothe themselves and put themselves to sleep. You can go back in in about ten minutes to reassure her that you have not abandoned her, but when you do, speak kindly and do not take her out of the crib. Tell her what a big girl she is and that you are very proud of her.

If she will sometimes take whole milk from a bottle, keep offering it to her, but for a week or so, give it to her at times other than the ones you want to wean her. Also, keep giving her solid foods.

Eliminate just one nursing session at a time. This is very important. I'm assuming the 6 a.m. session is her first session of the day. When she wakes, get up with her and do something with her that does not involve nursing. I know it's early in the morning, but you might give her a bath now, or take her out for a walk in the stroller, put her in the high chair and give her some Cheerios or other finger food, or milk in a sippy cup, anything that she likes that will distract her from nursing. Another possibility would be to have her father pick her up in the morning and do these things with her.

While you're in the process of weaning your daughter, you'll have to spend more time with her since this is a big change in her life, and it's hard to break habits. But don't feel guilty -- it's better to wean her than to keep nursing and resent doing it. You'll have to try a few different things, but take heart. Other moms have weaned their babies, and you can too!

Good luck!

Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.  

Sally Wendkos Olds

What do you want to know about breastfeeding? I can tell you what`s good for the baby, what`s good for the mother -- and the father, how it`s related to a woman`s sexuality, how working moms can nurse, how to overcome obstacles, and lots more. As the author of THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING and author or coauthor of 8 other books and more than 200 articles about child and adult development, I can offer sound, sensible advice on breastfeeding, child care and family issues.

I nursed my 3 daughters and am the grandmother of 5 breastfed children. My book THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING (written in consultation with pediatrician Marvin S. Eiger, M.D.) was first published in 1972, and in 1999 came out in an updated 3rd Edition by Workman Publishing & Bantam Books. It is now a classic, with over 2 million copies in print. I am now revising this book for a fourth edition, consulting with pediatrician Laura M. Marks, M.D. This new edition will be published September 2009. I welcome any and all suggestions for the new edition. I coauthored college textbooks A CHILD'S WORLD: INFANCY THROUGH ADOLESCENCE, and HUMAN DEVELOPMENT; both are leading texts in their fields and have been read by 2 million students. I am the coauthor of HELPING YOUR CHILD FIND VALUES TO LIVE BY and RAISING A HYPERACTIVE CHILD, and author of THE WORKING PARENTS' SURVIVAL GUIDE & THE ETERNAL GARDEN: SEASONS OF OUR SEXUALITY. My newest book, A BALCONY IN NEPAL: GLIMPSES OF A HIMALAYAN VILLAGE, published in 2002, tells the story of the way of life in a remote village in Nepal, where all the women breastfeed! My book, SUPER GRANNY: COOL PROJECTS, ACTIVITIES, AND OTHER GREAT STUFF TO DO WITH YOUR GRANDKIDS, will be published March 2009. I speak often to professional, parent and general audiences and make many radio and TV appearances.

Credentials I received my B.A. in English Literature from the University of Pennsylvania, where I minored in Psychology, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated summa cum laude.

Other points of interest I have received national awards for my writing, and am a former president of the American Society of Journalists & Authors. I am listed in the World Who's Who of Women, International Authors & Writers Who's Who, and Contemporary Authors, and am a member of several professional and civic organizations. I believe: that all parents are working parents; that parents employed outside the home need special support; that mothers' well-being is crucial to their children's welfare; and that the family is the best institution in the world and the one for which we are least prepared. My thrills come when parents or kids tell me they were helped by my writing or speaking or just understanding. To find out more about me, go to