Breastfeeding/Starting exclusive breastfeeding only in 3rd month

Question
Hi, I know most people do it the other way round but I woukd like to know if there is any benefit in starting exclusive BF in the 3rd month. When my son was born I breastfed him but within one week I stopped due to mastitis, high fever and bleeding nipples which made it impossible to nurse or pump. I formula-fed him for the next 3 weeks with the intention of relactating once my breasts had recovered. I managed to rebuild my milk supply and get him to latch on, gradually decreasing the amount of formula supplementation each day. He is now 3 months and exclusively breastfed. What I would like to know is,  is there any point in doing this? Had the early formula-feeding caused irreversible damage to him and can this be salvaged by returning to EBF? I am concerned after reading the Virgin Gut article which I'm sure you know about.
I would be most grateful for your reply. Thank you!

Answer
Dear Ariel,

First, congratulations for persevering with breastfeeding your son despite the problems you had early in his life. And yes, there is a great benefit to continuing to breastfeed exclusively for the next three months.

Breast is best when you can do it, but breastfeeding is not an all-or-nothing affair. Some breastfeeding is always better than no breastfeeding. Furthermore, from my reading of the literature, the concept of the "virgin gut," with irreversible damage done by feeding formula, is alarmist and without scientific basis.

So go ahead and enjoy your breastfeeding experience and know that you are giving your son the best mothering you can offer.

Best regards,

Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds