Breastfeeding/breastfed baby not gaining much weight.

Question
Hello, my baby was born five months ago and since then I have been exclusive breast feeding but my concern is that baby hasn't been gaining much weight. Since my daughter's first check up her doctor has suggested I switch to formula because of her low gain of weight.

She was born 23 inches 7 pounds 11 ounces and was 7 pounds 2 ounces when she came home. At this time I was breastfeeding her 30 to 40 minutes every 2.5 to 3 hours.

At 2 weeks, we went in for a check up to see if she regained her birth weight. At this weigh in she only gained 4 ounces. They suggested I start supplementing with formula but I said that I wanted to continue breastfeeding because it was better. So they sent me to see a lactation specialist. They concluded that she was sucking properly.

At 1 month, we returned to get her weight done. At this time she only gained 3 ounces and she was only 7 pounds 9 ounces. The doctor was concerned about her weight so she suggested me offering her 2 ounces of formula after I breast-feed her and to try to offer her the breast every 2 hours. I wasn't quite ready to try formula because I didn't want to risk the chance of her not breast feeding so instead I tried to offer the breast every 1 1/2 during the day and at night time let her wake up when she was hungry.

We went back to the doctor at 2 months and it seemed she has gained a bit more weight. She gained 9 ounces and was 24.5 inches 8 pounds 3 ounces. As a precaution, the doctor decided to get some blood tests done to see if she had any issues to explain why she wasn't gaining much weight. All the test came back normal.

We came back at 3 months and this time she weighed 9 pounds 1 oz. The doctor was pleased with this weigh in and sent us on our weigh.

At her last weigh in they became really concerned because she was 26 inches and only weighed 9 pounds 5oz. They gave her the diagnosed of failure to thrive and at this time said I had to stop all breastfeeding and go to a high calorie formula. Not wanting to fully give up on breastfeeding I decided to breast feed her only at night from 10ish to 7amish. During the day I offer her 2ounces of the formula with 1 ounce of the breast milk I express after each of her feedings.

I got in for a weigh in tomorrow for her and I am worried she is not going to gain that much weight. Do you have any advice or should I just switch her over to the high calorie formula. I just don't want to switch her over fully because she hasn't been sick she has been born, smiled at 8 weeks and rolled over both weighs by 4 months so she is defientaly reaching her milestones on time.

Answer
The Complete Book of Breastfeeding
The Complete Book of B  
Dear Ali,

First, congratulations on starting your daughter out with breastfeeding, so that she received important antibodies from you, along with your good breast milk.

I'm so sorry to hear about the problems she has been having in terms of not gaining enough weight. It sounds as if your pediatrician is very much involved with your baby's care, and I would strongly suggest that you follow the doctor's recommendations. The most important thing, of course, is your baby's health -- and if formula will achieve that, that's what you want to give her.

Meanwhile, you might be able to continue with some breastfeeding. Consider asking your doctor whether she thinks you could:

* continue nursing at night as you have been doing, while giving the high-calorie formula at all other feedings;

* add a little expressed breast milk to the formula feedings, as you have been doing; and/or

* nurse your baby for a few minutes at some or all of her feedings, before or after giving her formula, as long as she takes as much formula as your doctor recommends.

Good luck!

Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds