Breastfeeding/Milk supply/returning to work

Question
Hi, I returned to work about a month and a half ago. I express (electric pump) 2-3 times a day during my 8 hour work day. I nurse before and after work, nights and weekends. Generally when I express I will get between 2-4 ounces. I am concerned about my supply because now my daughter is starting to eat more at almost 4 months. She has been eating 4-5 ounces per feeding. I have a small stash of frozen milk but I am concerned that it will run out. Is it common for a nursing mom to have a decrease in supply when she returns to work? Also, what can I do to nurse as long as possible and not worry if my daughter is getting enough milk?

Answer
Dear Katie,

First, congratulations for giving your daughter the best start in life by breastfeeding her!

Yes, it is common for nursing moms to have a decrease in supply when they go back to work. If you can, try to get a little rest during the day and in the evenings when you return home. I know that's hard to do, with a baby and a full-time job. And another hard thing: If you can possibly squeeze in an extra feeding at night and weekends, that might help. A vigorously suckling baby will extract more  milk than even the best pump!

It sounds as if you have a very good nursing and pumping schedule worked out, but if you think your baby is hungry, you can try supplementing by adding a little formula (whichever one your pediatrician recommends) to your pumped breast milk to make that last longer. Also, many pediatricians are now suggesting the beginning of solid food at 4 to 6 months, and your baby is almost in that age group, so you might start feeding her solids.

Good luck!

Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds