Breastfeeding/Is this safe while breastfeeding?

Question
Green shake
Green shake  
QUESTION: My husband and I are starting a new workout routine and eating plan. There is a product we are supposed to purchase called Green Shake. Is this safe to drink while nursing? also, is it safe to drink protien shakes daily? I have attached the ingredients for the green shake. Thank you!

ANSWER: Dear Katie,

The ingredients for Green Shake did not come through on your email, but in any case I am reluctant to give the go-ahead for any diet plan like this while you're nursing. I have an extensive discussion in my book (see below) about losing weight during lactation by choosing the right foods in the right amounts and keeping up an exercise routine.

The eminent pediatrician (who specializes in research involving what nursing moms should and shouldn't take into their bodies) whom I consulted about this agrees with me -- and went even further, calling liquid diets a "fad." They may work for some people, but I think it is safest to wait to embark upon a program like this until after you wean your baby. Meanwhile, you may lose some weight from the nursing itself - many women do!

Best regards,

Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.

QUESTION: I'm sorry the image did not appear. I will post the ingredients at the end of my response. I apologize if my question was not clear. The meal plan we are following is not 100% liquid based. the green shake is supposed to be taken within the first 30 minutes of waking up and the rest of the day there are meals and snacks every 3 hours. The diet is similar to paleo/ gluten free. Here are the ingredients in the green shake: Organic banana powder, organic banana flakes, organic goji berry powder, chlorella, spirulina, broccoli powder, pomegranate powder, mangosteen powder, acai berry extract, carrot powder, apple juice powder, kelp extract, apple 12:1 extract, elderberry extract, grape seed extract, bilberry extract, mangosteen extract, blueberry juice 150:1 extract, pomepgranate extract, debittered stevia rebaudiana extract, sunflower lecithin (non GMO), organic black chia seeds, non gmo organic flax seeds, apple fiber pectin, astragalus membranaceus extract, reishi mushroom extract, maitake mushroom extract, shiitake mushroom extract, cordyceps extract, ginger extract, inulin, l acidophilus, citruc acid, guar gum

Answer
Dear Katie,

Thank you for sending the list of ingredients. I am still not enthusiastic about this shake. You have no idea where these powders and extracts come from. Some may come from countries where there may be impurities in the production of the ingredients. Even in the United States there is little or no regulation of dietary supplements so you really don't know what you are getting. You are much better off eating real food that you can identify rather than this somewhat mysterious mixture. I think your baby is better off too.

I commend your efforts to embark upon a healthy workout and eating plan, but in my opinion this is not a desirable eating plan for anyone, especially a nursing mom.

I wish you the best of luck.

Regards, Sally  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds