Breastfeeding/start back up?

Question
I have a odd question, my son is almost 3 now. I breast fed him for 6 months and after that I just could not keep him full, I was basically having to feed him non stop. I packed up my pimp that day and let the girls dry up.

But ever since then they still tingle as if they are letting down and I can still get several drops of milk from them. I have a friend who just had a baby and she isnt making milk for some reason but wanted breast milk.

Is there any chance of me pumping again and my body making milk?

Answer
Dear Amber,

After consulting with Elizabeth Hormann, the author of "Breastfeeding an Adopted Baby and Relactation," I would make the following suggestions:

* If your friend has not yet consulted with a lactation consultant or a local La Leche League leader, she should do this to evaluate how her baby is suckling and how she is managing breastfeeding. So many women are still being urged (or want) to keep to a four hour schedule and eliminate night feeds ASAP, both of which can sabotage breastfeeding. Then if your friend is not making any milk, she should be examined by her obstetrician.

*  If it looks as if she can produce some milk, then she can nurse directly and also feed her baby with the addition of formula or donor milk via the Medela Supplemental Nursing System,Lact-Aid, or syringe.

*  If you do decide to try to relactate to help your friend, which might be possible, although you are likely to produce fairly small amounts of milk (especially since you had to stop nursing yourself because of what seemed like inadequate supply), you could pump your milk and let your friend feed by one of the above methods, so she will bond with her baby.

* I am assuming that if you do provide milk for your friend that you will have been examined and found free of any infection or other illness that could be passed on in your milk.

* Your friend could also purchase milk from a registered milk bank. I would strongly urge her NOT to purchase breast milk over the Internet. Recent research on this reported in the journal Pediatrics emphasizes the dangers with doing this.

* And finally, while breastfeeding is the ideal way to nourish a baby, as I say in my book (see below), a child raised in a loving home can grow up to be healthy and psychologically secure no matter how she receives nourishment. While it's worth doing all you can to breastfeed, it's not worth causing such stress to your friend that she cannot relax and enjoy her baby.

Best regards,

Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds