Breastfeeding/Plugged duct LONG after weaning

Question
My breast feeding history: 18 years breastfeeding my nine children. Weaned the youngest four years ago. Two weeks ago, I worked in a newborn nursery caring for brand new babies. Felt a slight "let down" reflex at their cries. Ignored it, thinking it was probably just psychological. Two days later, my right breast began to hurt a lot, like a plugged duct. Thought maybe it was just fibrocystic breast issues related to my period starting. It got worse so I decided to use the hot shower and massage it out just in case it was a plugged duct. I got milk out! (Not very clear milk, but milk, nonetheless!) now what? It's still there and I do not have a baby to nurse. I need it gone as it is painful and I'm running a low grade fever with it. Is there an herb that will help? Please advise!

Answer
Dear Heather,

First, congratulations for giving your children the best start in life by breastfeeding all of them! And for your present work caring for babies who need you.

As you realize, your situation is extremely unusual, and whenever someone experiences something so out of the ordinary, I recommend going to see your ob/gyn, who can check it out and determine whether there is a medical problem. Chances are, she or he will be able to reassure you that nothing is wrong, and may be able to help you alleviate the pain. The fever indicates that you may have an infection or another medical issue.

Meanwhile, until you see your doctor, I can suggest the following remedies that I mention in my book (see below):

TREATING A CLOGGED DUCT
  * Be sure your bra (or other clothing, like a tee shirt or sweater) is not so tight that it is pressing on the milk ducts. You may want to get a bra in the next larger size. Or try going without one, at least while you're nursing. Also check other items that may be putting too much pressure on your breasts, like a baby carrier or a shoulder bag.
  * If dried secretions seem to be covering your nipple openings, wash them off very gently after each nursing with a piece of cotton saturated with warm water.
  * Offer your sore breast first, so that your baby will drain it more thoroughly.
  * Apply moist heat several times a day (with a moist-heating pad, a hot water bottle, hot wet towel or wash cloth, or tub bath or shower). Follow this with gentle massage on the area of the clogged duct.
  * Get extra rest.
  * Do not sleep on your stomach, which puts pressure on your breast.
  * If the lump remains for more than three days, see your obstetrician. While the lump is most probably related to breastfeeding, it may not be and must be looked at promptly.

I would appreciate your letting me know what happens, so that I can better advise anyone else with this problem

Good luck!

Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds