Breastfeeding/Regarding my newborn boy

Question
Hello doctor,
My baby is six weeks old..He is both breastfed and formula fed..My paediatrician advised me to feed him once in three hours and each time he should feel full..Initially i used to breastfeed him first and immediately formula feed..But nowadays if i breastfeed him first he stays latched and sucks for around ten minutes and he sleeps off..it is so hard to wake him up..and again in an hour he starves and cries..So now i formula feed him first and then u breastfeed..He eats better now and he sleeps well for 3 hours and am able to maintain a cycle..Can i do it this way..??Are there any concerns doctor?It would be great if you can help me with this

Answer
Dear Sahana,

First, congratulations for giving your son the best start in life by breastfeeding him!

Secondly, instead of feeding him by the clock (once every three hours), feed him when he seems to be hungry, which may mean about every two hours. And it's fine to give him the formula first and then nurse him. This has the benefit of his associating his nice feeling of fullness with your good milk. Then gradually as he takes more milk from your breast, you can taper off with the formula.

Good luck!

Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds