Breastfeeding/Nursing & getting pregnant

Question
I had my son in June of 2013 and I nursed for a little over a year. I stopped last summer but I still have milk even today.

Also, my husband and I have been trying to have another baby for almost a year and a half now. Could the milk production have an effect on my inability to get pregnant? Not sure what else to do. Just wondering if you have any advice you can offer me. :) i'd really appreciate it.

Thank you so much!
Dina

Answer
Dear Dina,

First, congratulations for giving your baby the best start in life by breastfeeding!

As far as your efforts to conceive again, I don't know of any evidence that your milk production so long after you stopped nursing could interfere with your fertility. But as with any unusual medical situation (and producing milk this long after weaning is fairly unusual), I suggest that you make an appointment with your obstetrician just to be sure all is well.

Good luck!

Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters. Also available as an e-book.  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds