Breastfeeding/nursing

Question
I have nursed my daughter for slightly over 12 months now and I am ready to stop. Is there anything I can take to dry up that is safe to use while I still offer the breast? My theory being that if I offer her the breast when I know she will want it, which is nap time and bed time, and she doesn't get anything that maybe she will give up on her own instead of it being a fight...?

Answer
You can use cabbage leaves on your breasts , you leave them on until they wilt and then replace them. in a few days your milk will likely  dry up.

The theory is a good one but in practicality, it may actually end up causing a very cranky child.  but in general you are right with offering at her favorite times.  You can put boundaries in place where she is allowed to nurse at certain times. Do a lot of redirecting to other things to replace the nursing at any other time. then, slowly redirect away  from the times she likes most as well by letting those times be shorter and shorter each time.

breastfeeding is an emotional connection with you as well. to give that up is scary for many babies. so replace it with a lot of baby time and wean slowly. that is the best way hormonally for you, as well as emotionally for her.

I hope that helps!  

Breastfeeding

ruth kraft