Breastfeeding/breastfeeding with unequal breasts

I am a full time mom. I breastfeed my first born baby from birth until now that she is one year old. My concern is that she doesn't suck my right breast which made my left breast tripple the size of the right. Its so annoying and makes me worry. Which is normal and which is not? And till now I still didn't have my period back. Please I need answers. Thankyou in advance.

Dear Dhine,

First, please excuse my tardy answer. I was involved with some family issues and did not get back to you as soon as I should have.

Then, congratulations for giving your daughter the best start in life by breastfeeding her!

You can breathe a sigh of relief. A situation like yours in which a baby prefers to suckle on one breast, which makes the other breast larger, is very common and, other than the way it looks (!) poses no problem. There are a few things that women do about this. The first, is to put a little padding in your bra on the smaller side so you don't look lopsided, and it might feel more comfortable. Another possible step is to express or pump milk from the breast that your baby is ignoring. Then you can have extra milk which you can refrigerate or freeze to have in emergencies. You can check out my book (see below) to see the guidelines for storing milk.

And if you're breastfeeding frequently it's not that unusual that you would not have gotten your period back. However, it's probably time for your one-year check-up with your obstetrician, so it would be a good idea for you to pay her (or him) a visit, just to check out that everything is okay.

Good luck!

Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters. Also available as an e-book.  

Sally Wendkos Olds

What do you want to know about breastfeeding? I can tell you what`s good for the baby, what`s good for the mother -- and the father, how it`s related to a woman`s sexuality, how working moms can nurse, how to overcome obstacles, and lots more. As the author of THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING and author or coauthor of 8 other books and more than 200 articles about child and adult development, I can offer sound, sensible advice on breastfeeding, child care and family issues.

I nursed my 3 daughters and am the grandmother of 5 breastfed children. My book THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING (written in consultation with pediatrician Marvin S. Eiger, M.D.) was first published in 1972, and in 1999 came out in an updated 3rd Edition by Workman Publishing & Bantam Books. It is now a classic, with over 2 million copies in print. I am now revising this book for a fourth edition, consulting with pediatrician Laura M. Marks, M.D. This new edition will be published September 2009. I welcome any and all suggestions for the new edition. I coauthored college textbooks A CHILD'S WORLD: INFANCY THROUGH ADOLESCENCE, and HUMAN DEVELOPMENT; both are leading texts in their fields and have been read by 2 million students. I am the coauthor of HELPING YOUR CHILD FIND VALUES TO LIVE BY and RAISING A HYPERACTIVE CHILD, and author of THE WORKING PARENTS' SURVIVAL GUIDE & THE ETERNAL GARDEN: SEASONS OF OUR SEXUALITY. My newest book, A BALCONY IN NEPAL: GLIMPSES OF A HIMALAYAN VILLAGE, published in 2002, tells the story of the way of life in a remote village in Nepal, where all the women breastfeed! My book, SUPER GRANNY: COOL PROJECTS, ACTIVITIES, AND OTHER GREAT STUFF TO DO WITH YOUR GRANDKIDS, will be published March 2009. I speak often to professional, parent and general audiences and make many radio and TV appearances.

Credentials I received my B.A. in English Literature from the University of Pennsylvania, where I minored in Psychology, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated summa cum laude.

Other points of interest I have received national awards for my writing, and am a former president of the American Society of Journalists & Authors. I am listed in the World Who's Who of Women, International Authors & Writers Who's Who, and Contemporary Authors, and am a member of several professional and civic organizations. I believe: that all parents are working parents; that parents employed outside the home need special support; that mothers' well-being is crucial to their children's welfare; and that the family is the best institution in the world and the one for which we are least prepared. My thrills come when parents or kids tell me they were helped by my writing or speaking or just understanding. To find out more about me, go to