Breastfeeding/Prevent Breastmilk from Drying Up

Question
QUESTION: Thank you for helping me!  I breastfeed my toddler (3 years and 9 months old) twice a day.  In a couple of weeks, I have to be away from him for 2.5 days.  We are not yet ready to stop breastfeeding, so I need to find a way to do this trip and not allow it to put an end to our breastfeeding.  (It is a long story, but there is no way I can cancel or reschedule this trip.)  I am not concerned that he will want to give up breastfeeding due to this hiatus (and if he does decide this for himself, that is fine.)  He will be emotionally well-supported by my wonderful husband, mother, and his sister.  My one and only concern, and it is very substantial, is that my milk could dry up.  I think it is probably not likely, given how long I have been continuously breastfeeding, but I want to feel as confident as I can and do all I can to increase the likelihood that this trip will not put a premature end to breastfeeding.  From my own research (and experience with my first child), I understand that keeping the demand going will maintain the supply.  For most of the 2.5 days, I will have no access to electricity or modern conveniences, so I believe that a hand-pump or expressing milk by hand are my only options.  Given your expertise, do you have any other advice or ideas to offer me, and anyone else in a similar situation?  Thank you so much for your time.  This issue is causing my quite a bit of anxiety, so I appreciate your help very much.

ANSWER: Dear Veronica,

First, congratulations for giving your son the best start in life by breastfeeding him!

Second, I think you have covered your possible options --a hand pump or hand-expressing. I would just make one suggestion -- whichever method you choose, it would be a good idea to practice ahead of time before you go on your trip. And again, whatever you do, you should pump or express at the same times you would ordinarily be nursing your son.

Best of luck, Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters. Also available as an e-book.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your response.  I am hoping you won't mind a follow-up question.  If I use a manual pump (medela) and definitely will not be saving any of the milk that I pump, I assume I don't have to worry about washing or sanitizing the pump, is that correct?  We will be outdoors the entire time with no access to proper cleaning supplies (except sanitizing wipes).  Since the milk will be discarded, I am not concerned about contaminating it, but can my breasts be contaminated by the failure to clean the pump properly, such that my son will be at some risk when I return home and breastfeed him?  This might be a silly question, but I want to be sure I am doing the right thing by him.
Thank you again for your time.

ANSWER: Dear Veronica,

No, this is not a silly question at all. And I'm sorry to have to tell you that if you do not sanitize your pump carefully after using it each time, yes, bacteria can grow in the pump -- and then make their way to your breasts so that you may suffer some ill effects. This could not only put your son at risk if bacteria remain on your body -- it could cause problems for you.

I would suggest that you contact an outdoors company like Eastern Mountain Sports, REI, or L.L. Bean (they all have good websites) to see whether they have any products that can thoroughly and safely clean equipment like your pump.

If not, you will be running a health risk for both you and your son, and as much as you don't want to stop nursing, this may be the best plan for you at this time. I don't tell anyone when they should stop -- my own grandchildren were nursed for a very long time -- but at your son's age he no longer needs to nurse for nutrition and would probably accept giving up being breastfed fairly easily.

Good luck!

Sally

QUESTION: Thank you again for your help.  Am I correct that, if I use hand-expression instead of a pump, this health risk is no longer an issue?  I would ensure that my hands are clean each time I express (either by using a sanitizing wipe or hand sanitizer).
I truly appreciate your help.

Answer
Dear Veronica,

Yes, I think you would probably be safe using hand-expression -- and cleaning both your hands and your breasts VERY thoroughly with hand sanitizer and/or a sanitizing wipe. Be sure you have enough on hand (no pun intended!) to last you through your time away. And you should put on a clean bra after each expression.

Good luck!

Sally

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds