Breastfeeding/slow / no let down while nursing / pumping

Question
I've been nursing my baby for 10 months now.  The past week my let down is either a. not happening b. taking a lot longer to happen c. slower flow than usual.  This is causing baby to become fustrated and me to become anxious.  We are not ready for our nursing journey to end and am hoping you may have some suggestions to help me me get through this and get back to our normal.  I'm still producing enough (over supply) so I know this not this issue.  Any advise is very much appreciated!  Thank you!

Answer
Dear Victoria,

First, congratulations for giving your baby the best start in life by breastfeeding!

As for what's happening now, first take a look at your life and your baby's life. What is different? Are you working longer hours or changing your life in other ways so that you are more fatigued? Is your baby teething or suffering from sniffles or some other condition that may be interfering with interest in nursing? Are there changes in your family life besides the two of you? Very often other non-nursing factors have a strong impact on the  nursing pattern you have developed together.

If you have a breastfeeding-friendly support group in your community (like a La Leche League chapter), you might go to a meeting and see what other mothers who have gone through a similar experience can recommend.

Meanwhile, it's wonderful that you still have an ample supply of milk, so keep nursing! In fact, try adding extra feedings to your schedule to get your milk flowing faster again.

This is probably a temporary situation, so the most important thing you can do for yourself and your baby is NOT TO WORRY! Just take it as one more instance of how life rarely continues the same way for a long period of time, but undergoes certain changes from time to time. We have to learn to go with the flow (even when it sometimes slows down!)

Good luck!

Sally
--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters. Also available as an e-book.  

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds