Breeding Horses/13.3 pony broodmare

Hi there,

I have a 13.3 pony broodmare which i am looking at putting in to foal within the next month. She is 16 yrs old and has already had a few foals. I am looking at putting a 16-16.1 hh over her via AI. Do you think that she would be able to carry this foal or will it be to big for her? She is a very stocky 13.3.

Thank you

Hi, Natalie

It has been said that a mare will not carry a foal that is too big for her.  But I do believe they can still have complications during foaling, especially if you were to cover her with a draft breed which tends to be wider in the girth area.

I know people breed bigger stallions to smaller mares all the time and everything usually goes well.  I would just highly advise that someone be on hand during the foaling process in case there are complications.

Best of luck to you,

Breeding Horses

Sandy Sargent

Breeding issues of both the mare and stallion (live cover), stallion handling, pregnancy of the mare, signs of impending foaling, foaling complications (dystocia), post-partum care of the mare and foal.

Breeding, raising, training and showing of Appaloosas and American Miniature horses for 16 years. Barn/breeding manager of a large Appaloosa race farm for 6 years.

Member in good standing with: ApHC (Appaloosa Horse Club) AMHA (American Miniature Horse Association) AMHR ( American Miniature Horse Registry) FHANA ( Friesian Horse Associaton of North America)

Veterinary assistant for 4 years. I have attended numerous educational seminars on equine reproduction.
Currently employed as a Humane Law Enforcement officer.