Breeding Horses/Breeding & Timing

I am wishing to breed with my welsh A in the next years or so, can you tell me if they have to be in season to be served? Tho She seems to turn it on when meeting other geldings :-) Thanks

Hi Tammy,

There are mares that will accept a a stallion when they are not in season. However, this will not result in a foal. If you want a foal, your mare must be bred when she is cycling and has a mature follicle. Yes, she absolutely has to be in season. The timing is totally critical.  Subsequently, if you are thinking of hauling her over to a stallion one afternoon, breeding her and then bringing her home, you are likely to waste time and gasoline.  Try to chart her cycle.  When you have an idea of when she cycles, make arrangements with the stud owner and chat with them with that chart in your hand to figure out when to take her over and plan on leaving her a while. Timing is everything.  Pasture bred horses manage to figure it out.  When human being get involved, we frequently foul up the works :>)

Good luck.

Lynne Curtis Gudes
"Common sense isn't."

Breeding Horses

Lynne Curtis Gudes

Breeding, foaling, behavior, imprinting and common medical issues arising from foaling. Also stallion handling.

I have been involved in horses for approximately 45 years. I showed hunters, jumpers and stock horses. In the 80's I was licensed as a trainer on the race track. I have run broodmare operations, delivered foals and taught everything from what to feed and which end the shoes go on to advanced jumping. I tend to be impatient with owners who think their horses prefer to be locked up in confined spaces. Even my show and race horses rarely spent more than only the night before an event in a stall...the rest of the time they had room to run. In 1974 I rode a Quarter Horse Stallion and a Thoroughbred Mare solo from Minneapolis to San Francisco.

"The Long Ride" Published in Women Sports Magazine March of 1975 an article regarding the author's cross country horseback ride from Minnesota to California. "A Horse is a Horse,of Course" An article regarding investigating horse incidents and the Equine Liability Act for investigators and attorneys. published in The Legal Investigator, February 2004 "Investigating Animal Cases:" A chapter written at the request of the editors for a professional textbook entitled Advanced Forensic Civil Investigations published by Lawyers and Judges Publishing June, 1997 "Murder by Another Name:" An article published in The John Cook Fraud Report, December 1994 regarding the intentional killing of horses for greed and insurance fraud. "The Responsibilities of Horse Owners in Rural Communities:" A paper presented before the Regional Seminar of the National Association of Legal Investigators in November 1987 at Phoenix, Arizona. "The Old Gray Mare is Worth $10,000,000 Now." A professional paper on the investigation of cases involving bloodstock and racetracks presented before the National Conference of the National Association of Legal Investigators in Washington, D.C., June 1986.

approximately 3 years of confined degree. Advanced degree from the university of experience :>)

Recipient of the 1st place Anthony M. Golec Editor-Publisher Award 2004