Breeding Horses/foaling and the older maiden mare

Question
sierra 2/26/2013
sierra 2/26/2013  
i have a ~14yr old QTR sorrel maiden mare that i rescued aug 5 2012. right away i knew she was in foal, but when she was bred is a mystery as i bailed her off a staging lot where she was headed to canada to have been destined burger king burger.! vet palpate check stated ~3 more months in the middle of october, making roughly mid january her poss foaling date. well, its the middle of march now and still no foal. she is big as a barn! she has had a bag for about month now and full bag past two weeks. but the udder themselves dont feel totally engorged. ok, for the question finally, when do i start to REALLY worry? she has a ravenous appetite, makes lots pasture apples and could fuel the town with her gas. can the foal get too big? i heard mare determines size of foal and shouldnt have one bigger than she can handle. first time with a mare and foaling if u couldnt tell!  is there anything i can do to get the ball rolling? long easy lead around the pasture? etc. any help or reassurance greatly appreciated. this is sierra feb 26, 2 weeks ago

Answer
Dear Becky,

Hmm...yup, looks preggers to me.  Without knowing breeding dates, your vet could only make a best guess. Mares can carry and deliver a healthy foal anywhere from 320 to 365 days. MOST mares average about 345 days. Since you don't know when she was bred, there's little point in worrying too much as long as she is eating normally. Foals being too big is a pretty rare occurrence.  Take a breath, your You are going to have to guess on this one, but I can help you with knowing when time is close. The two most dependable changes in a pregnant mare that the average owner can read easily is what I call "the stickies and jello butt".  For the "stickies" milk a little milk out if your mare (use a warm wet wash cloth and clean her...it will get her used to having her teats handled and it's nice if you ever have a need to milk her)milk out a little milk into your palm. Early on it will be clear and thin and if you pinch the milk in you palm between your fingers it is watery. Usually 24-48 hours before foaling the milk will change color and become more yellowish or white and the texture will become sticky. But my favorite is "jello butt".  The hormones progesterone and relaxin work to soften the muscles and ligaments as foaling comes closer causing the tail head to sink and the mare's belly to look more "V"  shaped. In the last 24-48 hours they develop what I call "jello butt". The muscles of the hind quarters feel like a bowl of loose jello.  Go pat her on the rump several times a day.  When you feel jello butt, start keeping an eye on her because time is near. Also in that last 24-48 hours her vulva will lengthen noticeably. Send me a photo of your grandchild when she foals ;=)

Good Luck,

Lynne Curtis Gudes
"Common sense isn't."

Breeding Horses

Lynne Curtis Gudes