Breeding Horses/foaling

hi ive just purchased a mare who is three the last two days have noticed movements by the flanks which looks like foal movements her teats have turned very large and square and pointing downwards also she has had clear liquid squirting from one of them do you think she is in foal and if so how long do you think she has left before giving birth. Thanks

Hi Kelly,

A mare that is  three is old enough to be in foal.  Whether she is in foal or not is impossible to tell from a distance. As far as how far along she is, even your veterinarian will have to examine her to give you an educated guess.

Call your vet and get her checked.  I She needs a veterinarian's exam because if she isn't in foal, she may have an infection in her bag. Call your vet and have her checked.

Good Luck,

Lynne Curtis Gudes

Breeding Horses

Lynne Curtis Gudes

Breeding, foaling, behavior, imprinting and common medical issues arising from foaling. Also stallion handling.

I have been involved in horses for approximately 45 years. I showed hunters, jumpers and stock horses. In the 80's I was licensed as a trainer on the race track. I have run broodmare operations, delivered foals and taught everything from what to feed and which end the shoes go on to advanced jumping. I tend to be impatient with owners who think their horses prefer to be locked up in confined spaces. Even my show and race horses rarely spent more than only the night before an event in a stall...the rest of the time they had room to run. In 1974 I rode a Quarter Horse Stallion and a Thoroughbred Mare solo from Minneapolis to San Francisco.

"The Long Ride" Published in Women Sports Magazine March of 1975 an article regarding the author's cross country horseback ride from Minnesota to California. "A Horse is a Horse,of Course" An article regarding investigating horse incidents and the Equine Liability Act for investigators and attorneys. published in The Legal Investigator, February 2004 "Investigating Animal Cases:" A chapter written at the request of the editors for a professional textbook entitled Advanced Forensic Civil Investigations published by Lawyers and Judges Publishing June, 1997 "Murder by Another Name:" An article published in The John Cook Fraud Report, December 1994 regarding the intentional killing of horses for greed and insurance fraud. "The Responsibilities of Horse Owners in Rural Communities:" A paper presented before the Regional Seminar of the National Association of Legal Investigators in November 1987 at Phoenix, Arizona. "The Old Gray Mare is Worth $10,000,000 Now." A professional paper on the investigation of cases involving bloodstock and racetracks presented before the National Conference of the National Association of Legal Investigators in Washington, D.C., June 1986.

approximately 3 years of confined degree. Advanced degree from the university of experience :>)

Recipient of the 1st place Anthony M. Golec Editor-Publisher Award 2004