Breeding Horses/rescue mare possibly pregnant

Question
I rescued a filly at the end of October 2012. She appeared to be a 2 yr old (coming 3) and weighed app 300 pounds (very emaciated). I am glad to say that she has made wonderful progress over the winter and spring months with her weight gain. She now weighs somewhere around the 800 pound range. A few months ago I found out that she had been pastured with a miniature stud from August til late October. She is a 14 hand quarter horse. She has not shown any signs of heat this spring. So when I found out about her being pastured with the miniature stud I called my vet and he drew blood for a pregnancy test. He called me a couple days later and said the test was negative but showed that she could be ovulating soon.. she still never showed signs of heat. but has started to bag up.. the fluid that can be expressed is a sticky yellowish fluid. Is it possible to have a false negative pregnancy test? or could she be having a phantom pregnancy? I know you cant give exacts because you are not here but should I her palpated? We are very rural and I don't know of any vets close who have an ultrasound.

Answer
Hi Suzi,

In my experience from owning both "big" horses and miniature horses, a mini cannot breed a full size horse.  It's just not physically possible.  Horses won't lay down for breeding like dogs will.

It is definitely possible to have a false pregnancy reading. Although; the only blood tests to determine pregnancy in the equine that I am aware of can only be conducted between 90-120 days of pregnancy.  Anything after that or before that, will not give an accurate reading.

The fact she didn't come into heat could be due to the malnutrition that she suffered prior to rescue.  There could be underlying health issues that are causing her to bag up also.  I have never known a horse that young, that has never foaled, to show signs of a false pregnancy.

I would highly doubt that she is pregnant by a miniature horse.  I would think she just needs time to mature and become healthy again.

I do want to say THANK YOU for rescuing this horse!

Sandy  

Breeding Horses

Sandy Sargent