Breeding Horses/Whats wrong with this andalusian-pure spanish horse?Is he suitable to breed?

Question
I have an andalusian stallion and he is now exactly 3 1/2 years old.He is really short,exactly 14.3 hh and he is at that height for almost a full year.He is gaining in muscle now.I really like small horses and ponies because I ride western and I feel really comfortable in shorter agile horses than tall ones.My horse is also strangely built.He looks like a quarter horse at a mustang.He has strong muscular hindquarters a small Arabian like head and small cheeks.He also has strong built legs and they are not tall like the andalusian seen in dressage competitions.Also he has a strange colour .He is white but his legs are dark grey black and his mane is dark gray with some shades of sandy like yellow.He looks like a white buckskin.He also has a primitive like dorsal stripe on his back.Can someone tell me if this guy is gonna stay to 14.3 or will he grow?Also is it possible for a horse to be shorter that its breed characteristics?Andalusian's height is from 15.1 to 16 plus so,is my situation normal or not?

Here is a link in Flickr to see how the horse look like(photo is a little blurry )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98498760@N04/9223599600/

Thanks in advance

Answer
Hi Nick,

He is a very nice looking horse. He is a bit small for his age but certain strains of Andalusian strains are smaller. He also could be a throw back to the European type of Andalusian. They are smaller then the United States version. In the US we breed for height while other countries breed for a small more sturdy horses. The range in size from 14.2 to 16 hands, with most being around 15.1 when full grown. The average one of his breed are 15.1 by now. But he still has growing to do. Andalusians do not stop growing until they are 7 or 8, so there is a good chance he will grow more. To see how tall he is going to be use the string test. On a front leg, you find the point of the elbow joint at the back of the elbow and the middle of the ankle. You then place each end of a string on those two points, rotate the string on that elbow point upwards and where that reaches, that is, within 1/2" where the horse should grow to. It is not 100% accurate but will give you a good idea of how tall he will be. I hope this answered your questions.

Lisa

Breeding Horses

Lisa Kalp