Breeding and Showing Cats/Using Clindamycin prophylactically?

Question
Hello Chip,
I have just bred my Maine Coon queen and my mentor is recommending that I treat her with Clindamycin (Antirobe drops) or Convenia (injectable)as a prophylactic measure "in case" the tom introduced bacteria into her reproductive tract during mating.  I have bred and exhibited AKC champions for over 30 years and am new to breeding and showing cats, and have always been very conservative in the use of antibiotics, particularly in the absence of symptoms and even more so with possibly pregnant animals.  My mentor assures me it is perfectly safe and a wise management practice and tells me that many established breeders are doing this.  What's your opinion?
Thanks so much for your help!

Suzanne

Answer
Hi Suzanne

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
First I am in agreement with you, missuse of antibiotics is on the increase and needs to be reduced dramatically. Do not use anything unless your vet recommends it as a necessity to ward off any actual infection.
Normal antibodies are produced by animals in response to infection and if it does not exist why treat for it.
So I would NOT recommend any un-necessary treatment of any cat.

Kind Regards

Chip

Breeding and Showing Cats

Charles (Chip) Norris