Breeding and Showing Cats/beginner showing a kitten

I am going to show a kitten in a month in a household class. I have only done a few beginner cat shows. I would like to do my best to have him do his best. Should I follow a strict diet? How should I present the cat? What should his grooming schedule look like? He is a short hair. Thank you!

I am sure you will love showing him.  Just make sure he is not overweight though don't restrict his died too much and don't change what he eats otherwise you risk a tummy upset.  

Make sure he does not have fleas, that his ears and eyes are clean (any crusty 'sleepy dusts) in the corner of the eyes need to be removed.  Make sure he has a clean bottom too as sometimes people forget to check that end. If he has white make sure it is sparkling white.  If you do need to wash him, do it a couple of days before, though I would hope you won't need to as he is a shorthair.  As far as grooming is concerned, do give him some combings as you need to make sure that there is no loose hair.  If he is a dark cat, you may want to consider a chamois leather to use when stroking him to bring up any shine.

Make sure his inoculations are up to date otherwise you may not be allowed into the show.

I think that just about sums it up so have a really good show and good luck.

Breeding and Showing Cats

Marcia Owen

I can give answers on cat breeding and showing having 'served' over 30 years in this particular field. I head up a Yahoo Group and also a cat club (NBA Cat Club) devoted to educating novices in the correct way to breed, and also show with both GCCF and TICA on a regular basis, and am well versed with the show world, having been involved in the management of the major GCCF Supreme Show in the UK for over 25 years. Genetics however is not my strong point.

30 years of continuous cat breeding and showing with two major organisations.

GCCF (UK) TICA Various UK cat clubs

Our Cats, Cat World, Club magazines

Normal middle school education, and college. Best education credentials I have are raw experience of 30 years