Breeding and Showing Cats/Cats Pregnancy

Question

Good day to you.

Please tell me what are the initial indications of a cat pregnancy. I bought a female 3 Weeks ago. I have a male since 4 years.

Since they both are living together, I haven't seen them mating so far but I feel that she is pregnant. Female use to fight most of the times with male. Male has now getting irritated from her.

Also my wife saw a blood in the poty of female. Another issue is that her hairs are falling too much. I have my 2 months baby in my house and I am very scared due to this hairfall.

Also tell me can this pair can be vaccinated at this stage. Need your advise on this please.

Regards

JB

Answer
Blood on a cat is not normal.  They do not bleed when in season.  She could be suffering from a uterine infection and if she is loosing hair, I would definitely suggest a visit to the vet.  If she is pregnant, or even possibly pregnant, you do not want to vaccinate her now.  Wait until after she has delivered the kittens, or, if she is not pregnant, vaccinate her before her next heat cycle.  

To verify pregnancy, her nipples will swell and turn bright pink 21 days after mating.  That is how you can confirm pregnancy.  If you are seeing any type of bloody discharge, she does need to see a vet soon.

Breeding and Showing Cats

Lori McLaughlin