Bridge & other card games/convenient minor

Question
If I open with a convenient minor and partner mentions major ( I can only assume 4 of them), do I need 4 of the major to bid it back to partner,looking for 8 card fit.  If I only have 3 of their major, should I ever bid it back to them?

Answer

Generally partner will expect you to have 4 card support in order to raise his major suit response and most of the time you should indeed have 4 card support. The exception would be if you have only 3 card support but if you only have a small doubleton in an outside suit then it is probably preferable to raise partner than to rebid 1NT. The doubleyon suit may well be a weak spot playing in NT and, in addition, if you play in a suit contract, partner may be able to win extra tricks by ruffing, in your hand, his losers in the weak suit.

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk