Bridge & other card games/Bridge bidding

Are the Short Club and the Convenient Minor used interchangeably? Are the rules for using them the same? Or if you play convenient minor, do you not "claim" to play Short Club? Are either demand bids?

The convenient minor bid is a consequence of playing 5 card major suit opening bids. If you do not have a 5 card or longer major suit and you do not have the right point count to open notrump then you may have to open in a 3 card minor suit. If you have 3 cards in each minor suit, for example you are dealt 3 spades, 4 hearts, 3 diamonds and 3 clubs, some people prefer to open their "better" minor while others prefer to always open 1C. However, your opening bid suit will always contain at least three cards.

The "short club" is different in that it includes an extra condition...that you need to have at least 4 diamonds in order to open 1D. Therefore, if you are dealt 4 spades, 4 hearts, 3 diamonds and 2 clubs, you now cannot open either 1S, 1H, nor 1D. You are forced to open 1C even though it is only a two card suit. That is the difference.

In Standard American bidding, none of the bids are demand bids and they can be passed if responder has fewer than 5 points. Some people, though, like to play thay responder cannot pass a "short club". This has advantages and disadvantages and it is up to each partnership to decide.

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.