Bridge & other card games/response to a bid

My partner opens one heart.  My right-hand opponent overcalls 1 spade.  If I bid 2 spade showing a limit raise or better in hearts, do I show 3 card support in heart?  A friend tells me that it shows 4 card support.

If your partner opens one of a major suit and an opponent overcalls then a cue bid to show a limit raise or better only requires 3 card trump support. Since opener has promised a five card suit for his major suit opening bid, you should be assured of an eight card trump fit.

If there was no overcall, then 3H would be a limit raise but in this case you should have at least 4 card trump support.

If partner opened a minor suit then you can also play that a cue bid of an overcall is a limit raise but in that case you should try to have at least 4 card support and preferably 5 card support.  

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.