Bridge & other card games/Bridge

I would appreciate your advice as to whether a bidder must have 3 or 4 suits to Take-Out Double; i.e., opener bids 1 C and Doubler has either 3 or 4 of each of S, H or D.

Thank you.

Stewart Fluney

Ideally the takeout doubler should have at least 3 card support for the unbid suits. Occasionally you might bend the rules and only have two card support for the unbid minor suit especially if you have four cards in each unbid major suit. If you choose to do so, however, you need to pass when your partner responds in your two card suit. Bidding again to try to "correct" the situation is a losing proposition and anyway partner could easily have 5 or 6 cards in that suit.

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.