Bridge & other card games/Bridge

Please consider this situation:

West bids 1 H which is Doubled (T.O.) by North with 20 points.  East passes and South bids 1 S with 7 points.  West passes and North bids 3 S.

Wouldn't South interpret North's point count to be 17-18 (a Jump Raise) and bid 4 C (South has 8, 7, 4, 2 C and North has A, K, Q, J of C).  North would subsequently Pass.

I'm reading a Bridge book which states North's bid of 3 S is taken by South as a Maximum bid of 19-21 points and goes on to Game.

I'd appreciate your opinion here.

Thank you.

Stewart Fluney

The point count ranges for rebids by an opening bidder are different from the point count ranges for rebids by a takeout doubler. An opening bidder knows that if partner responded then partner has at least 5 or 6 points and could possibly have a much stronger hand. On the other hand, the partner of a takeout doubler is forced to respond and bid something even with zero points and a minimum response generally has a maximum of about 8 points. Therefore, the doubler needs greater strength for his rebids than an opening bidder.

With less 15 points, doubler generally passes unless there is a great fit.

A single raise typically shows 15-18 points at the 2-level.
A double raise at the 3-level typically shows 19-21 points.  

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.