Bridge & other card games/Bridge

I think I've forgotten something very basic and perhaps you could set me straight:

Your partner opens 1 H and you have the following hand containing 9 points:

S  8 3
H  A 10 9 4
D  8 6 5
C  A 8 3 2

You raise to 2 H.

Opponent on your left bids 2 S and your partner and opponent on your right both pass.

Question 1:  Should you bid again to 3 H?

Question 2:  If you pass and your partner raises bidding to 3 H, would that mean he/she has 17-18 points and Game can be bid by you?

Many thanks.

Stewart Fluney

1. With four card support and two aces, a rebid of 3H is reasonable. Nine card trump fits are valuable. If you had a similar hand but only three card heart support I would pass over 2S.

2. If you pass then the auction is over. Partner does not have another chance to bid. If partner had bid 3H directly over 2S then that would be invitational and you can raise to 4H.  

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.