Bridge & other card games/partner overbidding opponents in bridge

Question
I wish i could remember all the particulars but as i didn't memorize the cards of each player i remember the pertinent information. Bare in mind this is an old hoyle version with a stupidly programmed AI and I'm still a beginner.

Here was the situation that confused me and the results(I'm playing south#. I had 6 diamonds#A,Q,J,6,4,2# and 6 spades with jack as highest in suit. I was 1st to bid so being timid i only bet 1 diamond. Opponent west bid 2 hearts. Here is where i got confused...my partner bets 3 hearts???? which shut me out of further bidding as i was clueless why my partner bid that. The 3 hearts bid from my partner stood and we got creamed i think we made maybe 4 tricks in all that mess.

So the question is...why did my partner overbid west with nothing and what hint or tell did i miss that my partner was trying to convey.#though i suck at the bidding I'm very good at playing the hands). thanks and cheers

Answer

Whatever else you learn about bidding, one rule that you would do well to follow is that if an opponent bids a suit...showing a long suit and a desire to play there...and then your partner bids the same suit you should never pass.

Your partner's bid is artificial. He does not actually want to play in the same suit that the opponent has just advertised having length and strength in. Partner's bid might be showing a good hand, possibly with good support for your bid suit (diamonds) or partner might be asking you to bid 3NT if you have a stopper in opponent's suit. But the one thing partner isn't showing is a real heart suit...your opponent just showed that.

You should just bid 3S. You will probably end up in a diamond contract or a spade contract and take a lot more than 4 tricks.

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk