Bridge & other card games/Bkddikng qvestin

Question
Partner opens in first seat with 2NT

My hand is  xxx   KJxxx J10xxx  void

I bid 3D - transfer to hearts
Partner bids 3 hearts

Should I bid 3NT or 4 diamonds ?

Answer

Most players would treat a 4D bid as showing slam interest with a somewhat stronger hand than that which you actually have. In that case partner might get carried away and you might end up in 6D, which, unless partner has the perfect hand, will be too high.

Even if after you bid 4D you are able to stop in 5D, you are now past 3NT which might be the last makeable spot. If you bid 4D and partner can bid 4H then you are fine but you would have reached the same contract had you bid 3NT instead. If partner does not have 3 card heart support, however, you will be forced to play in 5D...an eleven trick contract. The relative merits of 5D as opposed to 3NT depends on what partner's hand looks like, particularly the club suit. And what if partner is 4-2-2-5 with 2 hearts and 2 diamonds? However, there is really no way you can find any of this out. Therefore I would just bid 3NT. If partner has heart support you will end up in 4H. Otherwise you will be in 3NT instead of 5D and in the long run 3NT will make more often than 5D.

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk