Bridge & other card games/Bridge

QUESTION: I understand that a responder can bid a 6-card suit up to 3 in 3 successive bids with 6 points.  Can a responder also bid "up the line" to 3 as follows with 13 points?:

First bid      Second bid     Third bid

1 D          2 H          3 S

Has 5 D        Has 4 H        Has 4 S

In addition, can an opener bid "down the line" in 3 successive bids with 17 points as follows?:

1 S          2 H          3 C

Has 5         Has 4          Has 4

Many thanks for your advice.

Stewart Fluney

The answer to your second question is certainly yes. The auction could go 1S-1NT-2H-2NT-3C. The 3C bid should be forcing for one round. If responder's first bid is at the 2 level, say 2D instead of 1NT, so the auction proceeds 1S-2D-2H-2NT-3C, then opener need only have a minimum opener for this bid.

Concerning the first question, obviously if the first response is 1D then the opening bid had to be 1C. Now, if opener rebids 1H or 1S, a 4-4 major suit fit will have been found and responder does not have to bid as you indicated but rather just support opener's major suit. If opener instead rebids 1NT or 2C, he is tending to deny a four card major so that while responder certainly choose to bid the way you show his shape, the final contract will most likely be 3NT. An exception might be if opener is 3-1-3-6 with a singleton heart and decides to play in a known seven card 4-3 spade fit rather than 3NT because he feels that heart ruffs in his hand would be useful and that 4S might be safer than 3NT. This would be pretty rare though

QUESTION: Many thanks for your response.

Regarding your answer to my second question:  

1.  What difference does it make whether opener has 13 or 17 when responder's bids are 1 NT and 2 NT or 2 D and 2 NT; i.e., isn't this all possible with opener having 13 points?

2.  Why is 3 C forcing since it is responding to a 2 NT bid; i.e., 2 NT is not a change of suit and is a limit bid, is it not?

3.  Do you agree it is in order for responder with 6 points to respond twice in NT; i.e., 1 NT the first bid and 2 NT the second bid?

The standard treatment of the 3C bid over 2NT is that it is forcing for one round. Therefore opener should have some extra values for the 3C bid (not necessarily 17 but probably 15). You and your partner can certainly choose to agree that for you partnership the 3C bid would not be forcing.  However, if responder has a 2-3-5-3 shape you will be up at the three level and if you allow opener to do this with a minimum hand opposite a 2NT limit bid you may very well be getting yourself too high without having a good trump fit.

If responder initially bids 2D rather than 1NT he tends to show a stronger hand and hopefully a decent suit.

Responder should definitely not, under any circumstances, bid 2NT as his second bid with only 6 points. Over 1S-1NT-2H- a 2NT response should show 10, possibly 11. With only 6 points, responder should either pass 2H with 3 or 4 hearts or else correct to 2S even though he might only have 2 spades. If he only has 2 hearts and 1 spade he should probably pass 2H and hope that opener has 5 of them.

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.