Bridge & other card games/bidding 5/5 in the majors

Question
in opening i am 5/5 in the majors.Which one do i bid first?  My partner says i should bid spades first then hearts.  If i bid that then partner would think i was 5/4 in the majors.  What do you think?

Answer

If you are 5-5 in the majors you should always open 1 spade. If you then rebid hearts partner should assume that while you may be 5-4, you could also be 5-5. For example, if your auction goes 1S-2C-2H-2NT- you could be either 5-4 or 5-5. If you are 5-5 you might now rebid 3H while if you are 5-4 you might just bid 3NT.

If you opened 1H instead then if partner responds, for example, 1NT you would now have to rebid 2S and if partner wanted to prefer hearts he would now have to go to the three level. If partner has a weak hand this might be too high.

The general rule is that if you have two touching five card suits you should bid the higher ranking suit first.

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk