Bridge & other card games/response to partner's double

Question
In contract bridge, my LHO opens 1S, my partner doubles, and the next player passes.  I am holding S-J10983, H-53, D-654, C-J73.  I know I cannot pass, but what do you think I should bid?

Answer

You are correct that you trump holding is not really good enough and your hand is too weak to pass the double. The fact passing might, every now and then, lead to an acceptable result does not justify passing with hands like this. Also, responding 1NT would require you to have a bare minimum of 6 points.

Unfortunately, you have little choice but to bid your cheapest 3 card suit, 2C, and hope for the best.

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk