Bridge & other card games/Bridge

1.  How many ways are there to make re-bids of 2 ad 3 of a suit and No-Trump; i.e., the number of points and suits required?  I feel it may be a difficult question to answer, but from the number of times I've seen people appear to overbid and go down by 1, 2 and 3, I think I should re-view it.

I feel reasonably knowledgeable with the requisites of suits and points required to Overcall and Respond to Overcall.

I also feel the same about the requisite for Raising and Double Raising for opener and responder.

It is the other areas that I am uncomfortable with in making re-bids.

2.  I'm also shaky in Doubling (Take-Out and Penalty Doubling), No-Trump re-bidding and responses to Pre-emptive Weak 2, 3 and 4 bids.

I've done my best to improve myself in the areas in question with books by experts and play Contract Bridge twice per week, but have been left with the gaps mentioned.

Thanks very much for any suggestions and assistance you can give me.

Stewart Fluney

The following site gives a good summary of the requirements for various rebids.

Generally, if opener has a minimum opening of less than 15 points and responder has a 6-9 point minimum response and both hands are relatively balanced, then the partnership should not bid beyond the two level, the only exception being if a nine card or greater trump fit has been found.

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.