Bridge & other card games/Bridge

1.  Is it permissible for opener (with 13 points) to rebid 3 Diamonds (having 4) after opening 1 Spade (having 5) and rebidding 2 Hearts (having 4).  Perhaps this just doesn't happen because such a hand might be rare or the bidding would not extend to that point, but I would like your comment.

2.  Is there a good rule to follow in dispensing with losers; i.e., if you cannot get rid of by trumping in "Dummy" hand?

Many thanks.

Stewart Fluney

1. If paartner initially responds 1NT showing a minimum response then I would not, as opener, take a third bid of 3D with only 13 points as you will likely get to a higher level than your combined strength warrants. If, however, partner responds 2D, then you can rebid 2H on your first turn and then 3D next since now partner has additional strength. It could go 1S-2D-2H-2NT-3D...

2. The two major ways of getting rid of your losers are trumping in dummy or, alternatively, discarding losers on a long suit in dummy. Sometimes the long suit consists of winners so you can just draw trumps and then play the long suit winners in dummy to discard side suit losers in your hand. More often, though, you may have to do some work setting up the long suit. For example, if you have Axxxx in dummy and Kx in your hand you need to ruff at least one of the long cards (if the suit splits 3-3) to set up two extra winners or two of them if the suit splits 4-2 in order to set up the fifth card as a winner. Of course you will need enough entries to the dummy to be able to do this.

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.