Bridge & other card games/Bridge

I have been evaluating my hand with 3 pts. for Voids, 2 for Singles and 1 for Doubles in addition to counting 4 for Aces, 3 for Kings, 2 for Queens and 1 for Jacks; therefore, I would count 13 opening points with the following hand:

Spades - Ax (5 pts.), Hearts - QJxxxx (3 pts), Diamonds - Qxxxx(2 pts.), Clubs - Void (3 pts.)

I use the same counting system as a Responder.

When the trump is decided, I increase Voids to 5 pts., Singles to 3 and leave Doubles at 1.  If No Trump is decided on, I do not count anything for Short Suits.

Someone recently said I cannot have 2 different counts for a suit even though I indicated one count was for High Card value and the other for Short Suit value.

I would appreciate your advice on this.  Thank you.

Stewart Fluney

Your method of hand evaluation is reasonable and is generally consistent with what is used by most players. The following website gives a more detailed discussion. There are minor differences but it is largely in agreement with your method.

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.