Bridge & other card games/bridge card game

Question
My partner opens with a club. The next player passes.  I have four points--the ace of spades, also three other little spades.  three small clubs, three small diamonds and three small hearts.  What is  my response?

Answer

Generally with a balanced hand one should have at least 5 or even 6 high card points to respond to an opening bid. I would agree with this if the points were in queens and jacks. However, an ace is a valuable card, worth a fraction more than the four points allotted to it in the standard point count system. As a result, there are experts who advocate responding with any hand holding an ace, even if there are no other positive features in the hand. I would tend to agree and recommend that you respond 1S. However, you cannot be faulted if you decide to pass instead and there are many people who would support that choice.  

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk