Bridge & other card games/Bridge

Question
My playing partner and I have had difficulty playing this hand and would appreciate your direction:

13 points          13 points
     Opener (Me)          Responder (My partner)

5 S (AJxxx)          2 S (Kx)
       3 H (QJx)          3 H (Kxx)
       1 D (x)          6 D (QJxxxx)
       4 C (KJxx)          2 C (Qx)

Should we bid?:

1 S          2 D
       2 S          2 NT
       3 NT          Pass

My partner has always gone up to higher bids in diamonds, 3 and 4.

Thank you.

Stewart Fluney

Answer

The auction you gave is reasonable although if you are allowed to pass 2NT then I would seriously consider doing that. You only have 12 high card points and the singleton in the suit that partner has length in is definitely a liability for declaring a notrump contract as it makes it difficult to set up that suit as a source of tricks. Notice that you have 4 top losers so unless you can bring in the spade suit for 5 tricks without any losers, you should go down on competent defense. These two hands, with only 23 high card points, no suit fit and missing all four aces should really not be bidding a game.

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk