Bridge & other card games/a bridge response to partner's first bid

Question
if my partner starts the bidding with 1 of a suit, and I have opening count in my hand, about 14 pts., and weak in his suit, how do I answer my partner?

Answer

Your primary objective is to determine where the hand belongs by either finding the best trump suit or else deciding that playing in notrump is superior. Therefore, you can respond by bidding a four card or longer suit of your own at the cheapest level possible, the one level or, if that is not possible, then at the two level...the exception being that if partner opened 1S, then 2H by you would show five hearts. Alternatively, if you have a balanced hand with stoppers in the other suits you can respond 2NT showing 13-15 high card points. You should keep the auction low to give your side room to discover your best place to play. And since your response is forcing for at least one round, there is no problem of being passed out at a low level. You can always show your strength by bidding a game later on. The website below may be helpful

http://www.rpbridge.net/2z07.htm

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk