Bridge & other card games/rules of bridge

Question
Player makes insufficient bid out of rotation.  What is correct procedure.

Answer

According to Law 31 of the Laws of Contract Bridge

When a player has bid out of rotation

(a) at the turn of offender's partner to call, or before any player has called when offender's LHO was the dealer, then the offender's partner must pass whenever it is his turn to call and the lead penalties of will apply if he becomes a defender.

(b) at the turn of the offender's right hand opponent to call,
(i)  if RHO passes, the bid out of rotation must be repeated, and there is no penalty (if the bid out of rotation was insufficient, it must be corrected as provided in Law 27 see below).

(ii)  
if RHO makes a legal bid, double or redouble, the offender may in turn make any legal call. If such call repeats the denomination of the bid out of rotation, the offender's partner must pass when next it is his turn to call. If the substituted call does not repeat the denomination, the offender's partner must pass whenever it is his turn to call and lead penalties will apply if he becomes a defender. The fact that the offending call was insufficient does not alter this.

Law 27...in order to correct the insufficient bid should RHO pass, the offender substitutes either a sufficient bid (not a double or redouble) or a pass.

If the call substituted is
(a) the lowest sufficient bid in the same denomination, the auction proceeds as though the irregularity had not occurred. However, offender's partner must not base any subsequent calls or plays on information gained from such a withdrawn bid
(b) any other sufficient bid or pass, the offender's partner must pass whenever it is his turn to call and lead penalties will apply if he becomes a defender.
If the offender attempts to substitute a double or redouble, it is cancelled; he must pass at that turn and the offense is subject to the penalty provided in subsection (b) above.

Finally, should RHO pass, then the insufficient bid may be accepted (treated as legal) at the option of offender's LHO, and is accepted if that opponent calls.  

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk