Bridge & other card games/Use of Gerber

Question
What is the consensus use of Gerber over No Trump.  Must it be used only directly or any time no trump has been bid.  

In the bidding sequence, 2c by opener, 2d by responder, 2nt by opener, 3c by responder (Puppet Stayman) 3d by opener, 4 clubs by responder.  

Is the 4club bid normally taken as Gerber, or a club suit.   If Gerber, what are the advantages.

Thank you.

Answer

The general consensus is that 4C is Gerber if it is a jump to 4C over a naturally bid notrump. Therefore, the following auctions 1NT-4C, 2NT-4C, 2C-2D-2NT-4C, and 1x-1y-2NT-4C would be Gerber.

By partnership agreement, this definition can be expanded to include Stayman and Transfer sequences as long as there is a jump to reach the 4C bid. In that case, 1NT-2C-2H-4C and 1NT-2D-2H-4C would also be treated as Gerber. However, 2NT-3C-3D-4C, as well as the auction that you submit would not be Gerber since there is not a jump to 4C. In these cases it is considered necessary to retain the natural meaning of the 4C bid in order to investigate the best spot to play...frequently to look for the best slam.

Assume responder has a slam going hand with a four card major plus five good clubs and perhaps an outside singleton. In that case after 2NT-3C-3D- (or else if partner bids the wrong major)4c is natural. 6C may very well be the best slam contract and it would be extremely difficult to find if 4C were treated as Gerber. In lower level auctions where 3C is available as a natural forcing club bid, this problem does not exist so in those cases 4C (which would be a jump bid) would be Gerber.  

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk