Bridge & other card games/Bridge

Question
QUESTION: If you don't mind, I wish to review the proper leads in Bridge as I appear to have been remiss a couple times and been criticized:

1.  Lead suit bid by partner.
2.  With Ace and King say, lead Ace.
3.  With Jack and ten, lead Jack.
4.  With say K, J, 7, 3, 2, lead 2 (the lowest) or 3 (the fourth best).
5.  With a doubleton, lead the highest.

I have also forgotten the order of precedence that applies to the above and, if there are any cases I've forgotten, please let me know.

Another of my failings appears to be in valuating my hand as a responder when deciding to acccept the suit bid by partner.  I would value a void as 5 points, singleton as 3 and doubleton as 1, if you agree.  In the case of a response to an opening of 1 NT bid from partner and having 8 points with a 5-card run off a suit and 2 honours, I would add 1 point, 6-card run and 2 honours, 2 points.  Do you agree?  I don't think there are 3 additional points for anything.

Also, if you have any suggestions that you would consider helpful in the above respects, please do not hesitate to let me know

Thanks very much.

Stewart Fluney

ANSWER: Question:
If you don't mind, I wish to review the proper leads in Bridge as I appear to
have been remiss a couple times and been criticized:          ----------------------------------------------------------

1.  Lead suit bid by partner.

This is generally a good idea; (after all, your parner will not criticise you for leading his suit), however, if you have a better lead in another suit, by all means go with that lead.

2.  With Ace and King say, lead Ace.

Lead the Ace if your A K of that suit is a doubleton; otherwise, lead the K.

3.  With Jack and ten, lead Jack.  (I assume this is not the trump suit.)

Lead the Jack from this holding.

Against NT lead the 3; do not lead from this holding against a suit contract.

5.  With a doubleton, lead the highest.

If the doubleton is lower than Q high, lead the higher card.

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your response.
.
Could you also tell me the order of precedence in making the lead for the 5 cases listed; i.e., if you had a 8 and 9 doubleton in a suit and a Queen and King in another suit, which would be your choice?

Please also tell me if my means of valuating my hands are correct.

Stewart Fluney

Answer
Hello Stewart -   

I believe that your five questions were answered.

However, your additonal inquiries are redundant.

ANSWER -  EITHER LEAD IS ACCEPTABLE, WITH A SLIGH PREFERENCE FOR THE LEAD OF THE
KING IN A SIDE SUIT.  ASSUMING THAT YOU ARE DEFENDING AGAINST A SUIT CONTRACT.

YOU MUST MEAN 'EVALUATING' , NOT VALUATING A HAND.

HAP;PY  HOLIDAYS!  

Bridge & other card games

Joe Andrews