Bridge & other card games/Bridge

Question
Please consider the following 2 cases and respond:

1.  I bid 1 D with 13 pts. and 6 suit. Partner bids 1 heart.  I re-bid 2 D.  Do you agree I should not re-bid 3 D as don't have sufficient pts nor should I open with 2 D as have opening points?

2.  After partner opens with a weak-2 bid of 6 D and opponent passes, I, as partner, must have 17 pts. to change suit to 2 H?

Many thanks.

Stewart Fluney

Answer

1. You are correct. A 3D rebid would show about 16 points and a 2D opening bid shows a maximum of about 11 points.

2. You are on the right track but you may bid 2H with about 15 points and a decent 5 card suit. If you have a very good 6 card heart suit you might even shade it to a good 14 points (mostly aces and kings).

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk