Bridge & other card games/bridge - renege

Question
Opponent who has bid 3 NT reneges.  After trick has been turned over, she says "may I see that trick." She then says I reneged.
Does she lose 2 tricks, or is she allowed to change it or are there no consequences>
This is Marathon bridge.

Answer
Question of the day -

This is Marathon bridge. ( variation of "Chicago" Bridge !)

-----------------------

The revoke (nee  'Renege') situation occurs frequently in casual play. In a certified (ACBL) sanctioned event, the Director is there to make a ruling, based on the actual circumstances.
(I was an ACBL director for ten years) ....) In any case, (and regarding the above question) I found a wealth of material on the internet. This is one of the more useful explanations.

-----------------

When is a revoke established ?

(a) When the Offender or his Partner makes any play to the next trick or

(b) If the Offender or his Parnter designates in any manner a card to be played to the next trick or

(c) If the Offender or his Partner makes any claim or concession or acquieses in a claim.

Trick Twelve

A revoke on trick twleve is never established.   However the Offender's Partner had a choice of suits to play to trick twelve AFTER his partner's attempted revoke, then he may not choose to play to trick 12 the card suggested by the attempted revoke.

Revoke by Dummy

There is NO AUTOMATIC PENALTY for a revoke by Dummy.   It rarely occurs as Dummy is exposed to all players.   If it did occur and there is insufficient compensation the Tournamant Director may award compensation to "RESTORE EQUITY" only.

Correction of a Revoke

A Player must correct a revoke if in time to do so, that is, before it is established.   

Once a revoke is established, it can not be corrected.

(It is established once the Offender or his partner has played a card to the NEXT trick)

When correcting an unestablished revoke, the card is withdrawn and a legal card played.

If the revoke card is by -

(a) A Defender then that card becomes a Major Penalty Card with lead and play restrictions (discussed later)
(b
) Declarer in his own hand then that card is replaced in his own hand and play continues normally (no penalty)
(c) Declarer in dummy (this should rarely occur as all 4 players can see dummy and immediately correct same)

Withdrawing a card played (unestablished revoke scenario)

The Offender corrects the attempted revoke by playing another card.
The next person may withdraw their previously played card and substitute it with another card without penalty.

If the next person changed the played card then the Offenders partner may change their played card but subject to a Major Penalty card conditions.

Penalty for a revoke

There is no penalty
(a) When the offending side has won neither the revoke trick nor any other trick
(b) The revoke was on the 12th trick
(c) The revoke was in failing to play a card that was faced up on the table (in Dummy's hand or otherwise)
(d) Attention was first drawn to the revoke AFTER the offending side has called on the next hand or after the end of the round.
(e) The revoke is the second revoke by the same player failing to play a card to the same suit  he was required to play in the previous instance.

Any Penalty depends on the number of tricks won by the Offenders after and including the revoke and which partner won the tricks,  (Dummy is considered a separate individual for penalty purposes.)

If the Offending side won -

(a) ONE Trick (including the revoke trick) then one trick is transferred

(b) TWO or more tricks then did the revoke trick win the trick ?  
         (a)  if YES then two tricks are transferred

(b) If NO and the Offender (not his partner) wins a subsequent trick with a card that could have been legally played to the revoke trick then  two tricks are transferred.

(c)  If NO and the Offender (not his partner) fails to win a subsequent trick with a card that could have been legally played to the revoke trick then one trick is transferred.

(c) If for any reason the Director deems that the non offending side has lost out after the revoke penalties are applied the director can RESTORE EQUITY by
assigning  an adjusted score (increasing the penalties.)

-----------

I hope this helps....  

Bridge & other card games

Joe Andrews