Bridge & other card games/Declaring Honors

Question
QUESTION: Example: North and South get the bid.  North plays the hand; when south lays his/her hand down it contains 4 honors in the suit they will play in.  Question: Can North/South claim the 100 honors points if they are in the hand of the dummy and not in the declarer's hand?

ANSWER: Hi,

Honors can be claimed wherever they are located so long as they are all in one hand So Declarer can claim honors whether he or dummy holds the honors. Similarly, either defender can claim honors if he is lucky enough to hold them.

QUESTION: Regarding the defenders:  if they can claim honors even though they did NOT get the bid, are the honors they can claim only in the suit their opponents are playing?  Therefore, if north/south got the bid to play in hearts can east/west claim honors points if they have honors in one of the other 3 suits (clubs, diamonds, or spades)or must their honors be in hearts which seems quite unlikely.

Answer

The honors must be in the trump suit. As you point out, it is quite unlikely that a defender would be able to claim honors, but it is not unheard of. To summarize

For holding four of the five trump honors
(A, K, Q, J, 10) in one hand ........................................ 100

For holding all five trump honors
(A, K, Q, J, 10) in one hand ........................................ 150

For holding all four aces in one hand
at a notrump contract................................................. 150.

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk