Bridge & other card games/Bidding question

Question
Hi:

My hand was    A 9 x    Q 10 x    x x x     A K x x

The bidding starting with E , I am S

1D  Pass  1H  Pass  1S  Pass  2S  all pass

Do you think it is worth doubling 2S ?
Turns out partner had 11 points and a 5 card club suit

Thanks

Answer

I would not double 2S. Unless partner has clubs you will be playing in a suit bid by the opponents. Partner may also have only 5 or 6 points. If his hand is something like xx,  Jxxx,  KJxx, xxx you could be in big trouble.

What I would have done is to make an immediate takeout double of 1D. You may not have the textbook hand for a traditional takeout double but the modern style is more flexible. You have 13 points and at least 3 card support for all of the unbid suits (I would not do it with a doubleton in either major). More importantly, you are able to show your values early and therefore not be left wondering what you should do later in the auction but rather be comfortable in the knowledge that you've told your story.

Of course, you might end up in a 4-3 major suit fit but there are worse things...and you'll only be at the one-level. If partner bids at the 2-level he should have a decent hand.

I feel it is best to tell your story as early as possible assuming you have a reasonable way of doing so. It is a lot safer than coming in at the 3-level and you are rarely going to be dealt the perfect hand like Axxx, KQxx, x, AQxx.

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk